Thursday, February 17, 2011

First Appointment Confusion

I got my phone call today confirming my appointment on Monday.  I was surprised to hear them say "appointment with (girl's name)" rather than "Dr. Whoever."  A friend/carpool mate of mine used the same office for both of her kids, so I know a little about it.  I know there are 2 options - midwives or doctors.  She did the midwives both times for her prenatal care, and gave birth in the hospital both times, but with the first kid the delivery got hard and the doctors intervened.  Even though I'm pretty sure the midwives are practically the same thing as doctors here since they all share a practice, I'm planning on going the Doctor route.  I thought that since I saw a dr in general that I'd see her for this first appointment.  Guess I was wrong.  I don't recognize the name as one my friend as mentioned as a midwife though, so maybe it's one of the NP's or something like that. 

A definite downside to this practice is that it has a thousand people.  Even for my annual checkups and the abdominal pain I've been dealing with for the past year and a half, I often see different people.  That frustrates me a little, however, the benefit is that I can usually get in pretty quickly as long as I don't care who I see.  I do know from my friend that they like you to see everyone during your 9 months so that you're almost guaranteed to know the people who are on call when you actually have the kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment